About Me

Lover of carbs, cake and all things in between. An East London girl on a year's mission to chronicle all her gastronomic highs and lows, and hopefully gain many many pounds in the process.

Monday 27 June 2011

Roast Duck And Potatoes

Whole Gressingham ducks are on offer in our local supermarket, which combines B's love of game meats and my love of a bargain.   I had to work on Saturday, so B busied himself in the kitchen and had a roast dinner waiting for me when I got home.  I know, right?  Good husbanding.


He reliably informs me that he cooked the duck the Elizabeth David way, by first making a stock with the giblets and then poaching the duck for about an hour.  The duck is then rescued from its savoury bath and popped into a hot oven for a couple of hours, to crisp up the skin deliciously.  Some of the stock, a dash of wine, and a squeeze of orange juice made the gravy. 

I only have four words to describe the potatoes:  roasted in duck fat.  That tells you all you need to know.

Enjoy with a glass of gutsy red wine and plenty of salt for your potatoes.  Nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment