About Me

Lover of carbs, cake and all things in between. An East London girl on a year's mission to chronicle all her gastronomic highs and lows, and hopefully gain many many pounds in the process.

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Quickest Ever Store Cupboard Soup

Do you ever have a day when you come home, tired and starving, from work?  And you open the fridge, and a solitary yogurt and half a cucumber stare back at you?  And you don't have any cash for a takeaway?  And your poor, tired, hungry brain wails WHAT AM I GOING TO EAT?!

I have those days all the time.  Sometimes the remedy is baked potatoes, or a quick pasta dish (I can usually rely on having carbs in the house).

Or sometimes I don't even have potatoes to hand, and I'm forced to be a bit more creative.

On this particular evening, I had the following unpromising-looking ingredients lolling about in the dark corners of the cupboard:

1 onion
1 carrot
A small, wrinkled nub of fresh ginger
A stub of cabbage (not really enough for even one portion)
Miso soup paste in a big tub
Dried noodles

What to do?  Why, make a delicious faux-Japanese soup, of course!

We sliced the onion, carrot, cabbage, and ginger thinly and stir-fried them in a glug of chilli oil until soft.  In a measuring jug, we made up the miso soup (the instructions are all in Japanese, so we went with a tablespoonful of paste to a litre of boiling water, which worked well).  Once made up, the miso soup got poured into the pan, and the dried noodles added in too.  Allow the noodles to soften, give everything a good stir, and serve. 



Admiring my lovely utensils?  Thank you! I love them too!  I think they make the meal feel more special and more thought out :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment