About Me

Lover of carbs, cake and all things in between. An East London girl on a year's mission to chronicle all her gastronomic highs and lows, and hopefully gain many many pounds in the process.

Friday 8 July 2011

Inauthentic Moussaka

Yesterday I had the day off work, and I intended to housewife it up to the max and make moussaka from scratch.  We had leftover mince from the burgers at the weekend, we had aubergines in our weekly veg box, we had Vefa in the kitchen....it all seemed perfect. 

But it just didn't happen.   I got distracted by something and before I knew it, it was four o'clock and I had to rush out for a couple of appointments.  The Vefa recipe, which wanted me to salt and drain the aubergines and make a white sauce, wasn't going to happen.  Step forward the BBC food website, which offered a much simpler version.   Not as authentic as Vefa's, sure, but it took about half an hour to whack together.  That's a good result in my book.


I really, really love recipes that are an entire meal in one dish.  Forget your pesky side vegetables!  Reject that green salad!  Here you have carbs, meat, and vegetables in one place, all smothered with a delicious creamy sauce! 


I made the sauce too watery.  I rinsed out the tomato tin with water and added that to the pan as I was cooking the mince, but I really didn't need to. The aubergines produce liquid too, so you shouldn't fret about the moussaka being too dry.

We took the leftovers into work for lunch, and it's definitely a Second Day Is Even Better Dish.  Yay for those!

No comments:

Post a Comment