About Me

Lover of carbs, cake and all things in between. An East London girl on a year's mission to chronicle all her gastronomic highs and lows, and hopefully gain many many pounds in the process.

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Lamb & Cucumber Burgers

Readers, I have a confession to make.  I think I'm in love.  With a supermarket.  Waitrose, to be precise.  Last week I found myself fabricating a flimsy excuse to go to the Wharf (something about overdue library books, I don't even remember it myself) just so that I could spend ten minutes wandering around its spacious aisles.  Sigh. 

I had a very happy time looking at Italian polenta and Japanese soba noodles and Chinese rice wine and imagining a parallel universe in which I actually knew what to do with these foods.   And then I found myself in the fresh meats aisle.  And then I saw a range of burgers designed by Heston Blumenthal.  And then I saw that the lamb and cucumber burgers had a 25% off sticker on them.

In my book, that's fate.

heston blumenthal waitrose lamb cucumber burgers

They were AMAZING.  Fresh-tasting and juicy, with the cucumber giving the meat a lovely clean aftertaste.  We griddled them for about 3 minutes on each side, so that they were still pinkish inside.  And then we inhaled them in ten seconds flat.  Oh yes we did. 

Our accompaniment to this delicious burger-fest?  Wine. 


Here is my glass enjoying the works of Charles Dickens.  How cultural!

We've got some time off work next week, and oh boy have we been looking forward to it.  We've been feverishly planning how many activities we could possibly cram into seven days, and have come up with a plan of action called The Week Of Fun Things.  I'll be posting updates as we go - I promise at least ten food-related Fun Things.  They'll probably all be either calorie-laden or alcohol-sodden.  Does that sound like a deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment