About Me

Lover of carbs, cake and all things in between. An East London girl on a year's mission to chronicle all her gastronomic highs and lows, and hopefully gain many many pounds in the process.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Leek & Bacon Risotto

Yes, I know, another flipping risotto recipe.  I know I've inundated you with them, so much so that you probably think I've got shares in arborio rice, but the truth of it is that I just really like risotto.  Sorry about that.  If it's any consolation, I promise that this is the simplest risotto recipe you will ever encounter, using just a couple of core ingredients, and it's awesome.  I promise.  (The recipe is via Nigel, although I can't remember which book.  You might know by now that I have a lot of Nigel in my life). 

Here's how it goes.  Sweat two large, finely chopped leeks in some butter until soft.  Add the rice, and ladlefuls of stock and vermouth (or white wine, whichever), stirring and adding more liquid as needed.  Meanwhile, grill six slices of smoked streaky bacon until crisp.  Chop (or snip with scissors) and add to the now-cooked risotto.  Stir through a smidge of grated Parmesan, some black pepper, and serve.


Somehow, this method of cooking keeps the leeks the most beautiful shade of green, so that the finished risotto looks perky and glowing with general health-giving properties.  They also taste sweet and soft, which works gorgeously against the smoky bacon and the creamy rice.   Delicious, and even if you're not a risotto fanatic (why not?), you'll think so too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment